Tuesday, October 26, 2010

My perceptions of research capacity in Aussie Unis is WRONG

All the Australian Reserach Council (ARC) grant results have just been announced... and I'm seeing a bunch of congratulations (well deserved - given the low low acceptance rate of grant applications) being sent around at QUT in my faculty (Science and Technology).

However, when I looked at the statistics published by the ARC about grants given per institution, I had to rethink my rather uninformed opinions about which unversities are major players in research.

The first thing I noticed was that in Discovery Grants (for "pure" research) - QUT got 19, whereas Uni of Queensland got 96... more than 5 times as many. Now I'd always thought of UQ as a more research-oriented Uni, and perhaps somewhat bigger - but five times is a lot. I guess my wariness of too much pride in my alma mater had led me to talk up the relative merits of QUT, which I was so opposed to as a student.

Then I examined the other big winners: Uni of Melbourne - 107, Uni of Sydney - 102, at the top of the table, as expected. But another preconception that shattered was that of Monash Uni as a second-rate research institution. They come in with the 3rd highest total of 93 discovery grants, a whisker ahead of ANU on 92.

Now of course the number of Discovery grants is not the be-all and end-all of research funding, and the size of the grants when added up will probably produce a different leader board... but it is indicative of research capacity.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

If Melbourne and Sydney are 107 and 102, and UQ is 96, surely the best Monash's 93 can be is fourth, rather than third? Where was UNSW in this? QUT probably won't say it, but I would think they are a little disappointed with 19.

Did you have a look at the selection of IT/software engineering grants (sort by FOR codes, 08 series)? I can't say they excited me very much...

3:45 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home